Example of orthogonal camera?

Hello,

I have just started a game dev project (after a “pause” or 15 years) and Shiro stack seems like an interesting option.

My game will have a real time strategy (RTS) part and if I understand correctly, these kind of games (e.g. SC2) are usually using orthogonal camera. As my knowledge is currently very thin, I cannot set Heaps camera to do this kind of projection. Do you know any example or could you provide me some tips about this subject?

Best regards
Kari Surakka

For 3D you can check the repo’s polygons sample. It has a very neat camera to play around with…

Orthogonal would be x and y axis in right angle / 90°. So everything right from top. In 2D this means:chessboard

and isometric would be like:

e.g. check the gamedev.stackexchange, however that route means re-calculating positions between world and screen and can be a little more tricky.

so to keep it simple you could do a “side view” instead (don’t know the right name):
semi-top
(one field has a width that is probably double the height, 2:1)

Thanks for a great answer, it made me to investigate a bit more and I realised that Star Craft 2 (or Darksburg) is using perspective projection. But I guess field of view (FOV) should be quite narrow in these kind of games.

For a true orthogonal camera with no perspective you need to set the camera orthobounds that will define your camera volume.