What is mikktspace and how can I install it?

Hey,

I have tried to add some FBX animations to my project and I have an issue:

'mikktspace' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\HaxeToolkit\haxe\lib\heaps/1,7,0/hxd/fmt/fbx/HMDOut.hx:113: characters 4-9 : Uncaught exception Failed to called 'mikktspace' executable required to generate tangent data. Please ensure it's in your PATH
C:\HaxeToolkit\haxe\lib\heaps/1,7,0/hxd/fmt/fbx/HMDOut.hx:150: characters 32-51 : Called from here
C:\HaxeToolkit\haxe\lib\heaps/1,7,0/hxd/fmt/fbx/HMDOut.hx:607: characters 16-89 : Called from here

Sooo it looks it require a command - mikktspace - to “buildTangents” but it’s not available on my pc. I have tried to search for it of course but it’s still not really clear for me how can I install and use it.
Can someone give some hint what should I do? Can I just convert my FBX animation to Heaps compatible version? Should I just gave it up? :smiley:

Regards,
Krisz

Mikktspace is required to extract the correct tangents data. You can get it from https://GitHub.com/heapsio/heaps-tools/releases

2 Likes

Great! Thanks it helped a lot.

Just some additional info, maybe it will be useful for someone:
1, You should install HashLink too and you should add hl to system PATH.

2, The texture destiniton still wrong by default in these animations, you should modify them like here: Do you know any 3D game assets marketplace for Heaps?

And one last thing, I don’t know at the moment what is the problem but now It looks strange - I will investigate it later:

1 Like