Help setting up heaps on Apple Silicon (M1) mac

Hi! I use the new M1 mac, and for the life of me can’t get heaps working. Installing Hashlinks seems the be the most defiant part of the process.

I’m curious if anyone has instructions on this, or if I’m just barking up the wrong tree trying to get this to work on mac.

Thanks!

Hi @gam! I managed to get heaps set up on my M1 MBA. The only issue that I had was getting hashlinks working, and I managed to do that by using the method described in this post:

I imagine that you have already got this set up (June of last year and all) but this might help other users who search for your post :slight_smile:

Hey @gaetgu I’m really having a heck of a time trying to instal hashlink on my m1. I any chance you could give me a hand?

Sure! The method I used in the above solution post really sucks, and I am sure that there is a better way to do it. Let me mess around and see if I can put something together for you.

1 Like

Hey @gaetgu any update on this?

I just came across this and have a MacBook M1 so decided to try installing Hashlink. The issue I see is unknown FP unit ‘sse’. I know that SSE is Intel. So unless you can cross compile the Hashlink x86_64 code to M1 chip like @gaetgu mentioned here https://community.heaps.io/t/how-to-install-heaps-on-my-macmini-m1-big-sur/786/5 it isn’t going to work on M1.

I also have older MacBook with Intel chip which I am guessing I could get Hashlink installed on it.

What we need is Hashlink ARM compatible!

@gam
Update: Installing Hashlink on M1 SOLVED

You can perform the following steps from your home directory.

1. Launch x86_64 shell by doing the following:
    from a Terminal type arch -x86_64 zsh

2. Install x86_64 variant of brew:
    type arch -x86_64/bin/bash/ -c “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh

3. Install x86_64 variant of clang:
    type arch -x86_64 */usr/local/bin/brew install llvm

4. Install Hashlink:
    type arch -x86_64 / usr/local/homebrew/bin/brew install hashlink

5. Add Hashlink to path by doing:
    sudo pico etc/paths
    add the following path to the end of file:
    /usr/local/Homebrew/Cellar/hashlink/1.13/libexec/bin/
    press + O key to save file

6. Close terminal and open a new one

Now you should be able type hl to test as mentioned on install page :smile:
Going forward just use Haxe as normal. You can use regular Terminal.